I get several parenting magazines. Love reading the articles (mostly)--tips on behavior issues, crafts, recipes, age-appropriate books, dvds and cds, etc.
At times, I read the articles and think . . . really? Isn't all that was just said common sense? I'm no pro at parenting but come on. Then there's times that I read something that I find helpful and useful.
Well, in the December issue of Parents, there's a Parents Pledge. 10 resolutions if you will, that should be top priority. All common sense. Just maybe not put into action.
1. I won't let anyone smoke around my children and support loved ones that want to quit.
--I will never understand how parents can smoke in front of their children. You know it's bad for them. So DON'T do it! Easy as that. And, yes, it's still bad if your window is rolled all the way down!
2. Stock up on sunscreen and wear it all year long.
--I am guilty of not putting sunscreen on my kids in the winter. Shame on me.
3. Don't drive anywhere (even around the block) unless your kids are buckled into their car or booster seat.
--I am a stickler on this. Haylee is 8 and is still in a booster. She does not like it at all, but I'd rather have her safe!
4. Keep serving those vegetables even if the kids aren't eating them.
--I try. And I'll keep trying. Haylee will eat anything, or at least she'll try anything. She may not like it but she'll at least give it a try. Gracie on the other hand, snubs her nose at almost every veggie out there. Maybe one day.
5. Stick to a normal bedtime.
--I definitely do this. For them and for me!
6. Wear helmets when needed.
--Always on my girls heads when they're on their bikes and scooters. They whine about it at times, especially when they're on their scooters. But Gracie falls every.single.time.she's.on.it! I need to know her little noggin is protected! You should see her legs. One big bruise and scrapes all over.
7. Wash hands.
--Duh. I still sometimes have to remind them to use soap. And to wash longer than 2 seconds.
8. Practice a family fire drill, test smoke alarms monthly and know how to use the fire extinguisher.
--One reason I didn't want a 2-story house is because I knew I would constantly worry about the girls being upstairs without me. What if there was a fire? That scares me to death! Is Haylee old enough to have the responsibility of using a fire ladder? I think that would scare her!
We had a plan at our old house, but haven't even discussed it for our new one. That sucks. Because what if? The girls need to know where to go! I'll get right on that.
9. Go outside to play every day.
--Oh man. This is asking a bit too much. Who needs to go outside every day?!!? How about as much as possible? I can do that.
10. No TV in bedrooms.
--Haylee hasn't asked for a TV in her bedroom until this year. The answer is no. No way. No. No. No. A TV in their playroom is enough. I don't need my 8 year old watching whatever whenever.
Monday, November 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
OK, totally common sense. All of it.
I don't do the sunscreen either, but should.
I too am a total carseat stickler, Bram is about to be put in the Regent and will be in it until he is 80 lbs.
Veggies. I don't know what to do? Bram hasn't had a veggie in three years. But he gets them every single day.
Agree with all of it. It's not easy being "this kind" of parent......that really sticks to the rules.....but I try very hard! It all counts.
I am so with you on soooo many of these things!
Veggies: My kids do not have a choice. It's what's for dinner, and they have learned to love them!
TV: Yes, I am guilty of letting them have one in my room, but didn't do it until RY and I met...he convinced me! I do however, set a timer, and they are NOT allowed to watch TV all day long! I am a TV Natzi! Poor T probably thinks I am so mean some time!
Bedtime: Kids need it and so do we!
Awesome post!!!
Post a Comment